Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Goodbye Fish Chair

I know I've posted this before, but now it's finally done. I finally put the finishing touches on the fish chair that I painted for the local library (the library is auctioning off chairs decorated by various artists as a fund raiser). I was nervous about adding the glass marbles because than meant actually drilling recesses into the wood (eek!) It sat here for a really long time, but finally this weekend I got up the nerve to start drilling. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Even after four coats of polyurathane the paint dots are still raised which I really like. It gives it a nice texture when you run your hand over it.

I dropped it off at the library this afternoon, and I'm a bit sad to see it go (okey maybe more than a bit). I hope it finds a good home. I wish I had a place in my house to put it.

Here's the seat. The large dots are the glass beads - they stick out a little, but not so much they hurt your bum.



And here's the back...


And here's the back of the back...

5 comments:

karen lee said...

How can you give that up? It's gorgeous. I wish I could bid on it.

I re-painted all my cheesey dining room chairs several years ago. I found a great Waverly fabric with a bee motif and then decided to paint bugs on the splat of each chair. They are fun - but not as fun as your fishy chair.
Karen

J. E. Morris said...

Thanks Karen, Some day I want to make bar stools for my kitchen in a similar style. I don't know if I'll ever get around to it though.

Ginger*:)* said...

Jennifer it is absolutely beautiful. If I lived near your library that chair would be coming home with me. I don't know how you could ever give it up! Please do make your bar stools for the kitchen... they will be a treasure for your children.

Chickengirl said...

That is one gorgeous chair...it looks like so much work. I hope it finds a good home :-)

wynlen said...

I remember this from earlier. It's so beautiful!

Anette
www.wynlen.no