3D Sidwalk Painting


What does this have to do with this weeks Illustration Friday topic, ripple? Um, there are ripples of water inside the bucket. yeah, that's it.

I'm fascinated by these artists like Julian Beever that do 3D sidewalk paintings so I wanted to try my hand at it. I didn't have much time (or much chalk) so I thought I'd start with a portrait of a plastic bucket. Finally, after 25 years I've finally found a use for those trigonometry formulas I learned in high school! What a neat art/math project this would be for high school kids. Next your kids ask, "what will I ever use this trigonometry junk for?" You can tell them that someday they will want to draw a three dimensional drawing of bucket on their driveway and they will need to know how tall to make it. :)

I was kind of eye balling this and it came out a little crooked. I'd like to try again, but next time I will draw out a neat grid with a chalk line before I begin. I'll also have to buy more chalk. The rough black top eats it up fast.

This is what it looks like from the side. As you can see even a small object like a bucket has to be pretty long and skinny...

Comments

Paula Pertile said…
Oh wow, this is so cool! I'm impressed - I'm sure I'd never be able to figure out how to do this.
J. E. Morris said…
Sure you could! It's really not that hard. Hmmm,a giant candy bar maybe?
What a fun project to do! I used to go to the I Madonnari chalk festival at the Santa Barbara mission in California back in the late 1980s. I'm not sure if they still hold the annual festival but it had some amazing artists.
Unknown said…
oh wow!!! this is so cool...I have seen some pretty cool art ...I could never ever do that...
Very cool!! But you have to use trigonometry, really? Not sure I would remember...
that is very very interesting!
Anonymous said…
How creative! :) I like it - a lot!
roberto M. said…
very good!!!!! i love the photo,
I thought it was a picture painted on the photo!

Popular Posts