Egad, I've been tagged.

I've been tagged by Edna Cabcabin Moran. Actually, I think I've been tagged a couple of times in the past but never got around to actually writing anything. I suppose it's because I can't ever think of anything interesting to say. But this time I'll give it a go. So this is for Edna and all the folks who have tagged me in the past and I never responded (sorry!)

8 Facts/Habits About Me

1. Um... well... um.... Okay, this is going to be harder than I thought. Oh, I got one! I like to sew. Clothes, curtains, slipcovers, dolls, you name it. My most ambitious project was probably my daughter's flower girl dress - 9 yards of satin and tulle with under-skirts and over-skirts and tons of frills. Someday I hope to try quilting but I just don't have the time right now to start another hobby.

2. I horde fabric. Squirrels stash acorns every where, I've got yards and yards of fabric stuffed all over the house. And I'm gonna use all of it... some day. Maybe when I start quilting - yeah, that's it!

3. I also horde seeds. I pour over the seed catalogs every spring and buy all sorts of odd-ball vegetable and flower seeds. I always have high hopes of planting a lush jungle of vegetables. I daydream about canning bushel baskets of tomatoes and spending crisp fall afternoons canning pickles. But then I get busy shuttling kids to soccer and swim lessons and the poor little seeds lay sleeping in there little paper packets all summer long. Sigh. Maybe next year.

4. My grandmother was a painter too. She had a job painting Xmas displays for The First Christmas Store back in the 40's and 50's. Here's a picture of the type of lawn displays they created. I still keep her brush jar on my work table.

5. I have an odd house plant. It's called a stapelia gigantea. Stapelia gigantea is also called a carrion plant because the flowers are big fleshy things that look like star fish and smell of rotted meat. Although I'm curious, I'm also a bit relieved that mine has never bloomed.

6. I have been entrusted with the family's oldest heirloom. Some families have precious jewels or rare paintings they they hand down through the ages, mine has a pink Christmas cactus. Yep, a Christmas cactus. This particular cactus, has been handed down through six generations of my family. Someone said I had the only healthy cuttings left from the original plant. Let's hope I don't kill it!

7. I grew up in Bradford, PA which is located in Pennsylvania's oil country. Growing up, I had oil wells in my backyard.

8. Phew, just one more. Um, I can plan the piano and the clarinet but neither of them very well.

Now I just have to think of someone else to tag...

Comments

Paula Pertile said…
Hey Jenn,

I have one of those pink Christmas cactus's (cactii?) too. But its only one generation old. It HAS survived a move and drastic weather changes though, so I think they're pretty hardy.

The fabric stash, I understand. The seeds too. I have two bags of bulbs I never planted this last year.
My thing is yarn...
now that you've let the world know of your family heirloom, lets hope it doesn't get kidnapped! (or cactus-napped?)

Ahh, the fabric stash, I also understand. Kinda comforting to know its there whenever the urge will strike to make a big quilt.
Ellen said…
Very interesting read! May I ask? What's the name of the seed catalog?
J. E. Morris said…
I'm on a few of mailing lists but Park Seed is my favorite. If you are looking for the carrion plant that was a cutting someone gave me. I've never seen seeds for those.

Popular Posts