Today's Warmup Exercise

I learned this exercise from a terrific workshop lead by the insanely talented Kelly Light at NE SCBWI. Not only did Kelly run a great workshop - she also baked everyone chocolate chip cookies. You gotta love this girl!

For this exercise, make a grid and draw a random shape in each box, then see if you can make characters out of each one. I thought it would be fun if two people did this together and they swapped shapes. Or if a group of people all started with the same shapes and see what different characters emerge from the same shapes. If anyone wants to do it, here's another page of shapes to start with. I'll post mine tomorrow. If anyone else wants a go at it, I can post yours too.

Comments

Will Terry said…
Yes - I love this exercise!
J. E. Morris said…
Awesome!
Russ Cox said…
Count me in. I do this with a kid I mentor. He draws a shape and tries to stump me. It is a ton of fun.
Anonymous said…
I will be doing this Jenn. . .but I have a dentist appt this morning and a meeting until 2. Hope it's okay to turn it in later today? If not next time. :)
J. E. Morris said…
Terrific Sherry. Oh jeez, no deadlines here. I was thinking I'll post mine on Saturday. That way if anyone wants to play they have a couple of days to do it.
Tracy Bishop said…
This is fantastic! I'd love to participate :-)
Ann Pilicer said…
Yes a awesome idea from Kelly! But, I can not wait to see yours and other fabulous characters from different people. Cool! :D
Alicia Schwab said…
very cool!
Cindy D. said…
Wow, what a great idea! And you've done so many wonderful and unique faces.
Yellow Doodle said…
Sounds interesting!! I'd like to participate please :-)

Popular Posts