Steve and Wessley Cybils Finalists


Steve and Wessley's first book, The Ice Cream Shop is a finalist in the Cybils awards in the Easy Reader category.



In case you are not familiar with the Cybils. They are the Children's and Young Adult Bloggers' Literary Awards. Here is the the mission statement that they post on their website...

The Cybils Awards aims to recognize the children’s and young adult authors and illustrators whose books combine the highest literary merit and popular appeal. If some la-di-dah awards can be compared to brussels sprouts, and other, more populist ones to gummy bears, we’re thinking more like organic chicken nuggets. We’re yummy and nutritious.

Since most of my books revolve around food that sounds like the perfect award for me!  I'm very happy and honored that they recognized my book for this award.  


The reviewer, Katie Fitzgerald, mistakenly called Steve a rat (he's an opossum).  But that's ok, because I was thrilled that she picked up on the theme of the book, which is, reading is important.  In the book, Steve the opossum is having trouble getting into the neighborhood ice cream shop because no matter how hard he pushes, the door won't open.  Had he used his reading skills and read the "PULL" sign on the door he would have gotten his ice cream much sooner.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Jennifer, I adore your books. We stumbled upon Steve and Wessley at the national library in Singapore and my son who hates reading really enjoyed reading them! Even my 12-year-old wanted to read them. It is not easy to make an interesting and funny story with a limited vocabulary and I must say you have done an awesome job. Congratulations on the award. It is well deserved. I do hope Steve and Wessley will be having more adventures soon. I was disappointed to find out that there are so far only two books. I look forward to seeing more of your work. All the best! (I thought Steve was a rat too!)
J. E. Morris said…
Thank you so much! So glad your son enjoyed Steve and Wessley. I hope there will be more Steve and Wessley stories too!

Popular Posts