My kids and I have been reading alot of Christmas books these days. Here are a few of my favorites...
1. The Grinch that Stole Christmas - I've only seen snipets of the Jim Carey version and frankly it looked kind of scary and I'm not a huge Dr. Seuss fan but I do love this book.
2. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens illustrated by P.J. Lynch. Okay this one isn't a picture book, but they were selling next to the picture books at Barnes and Nobles, and the illustrations are just gorgeous.
3. A Christmas Carol the DK Classics edition This is a nice introduction to the Dickens story. It's an abridged version of the story with sidebars and illustrations to help explain and elaborate on the text. I even learned a few things.
4. The First Christmas by Carol Heyer - This is a nice telling of the first Christmas story. The illustrations are colorful and realistic. The text is pleasant and straight forward. Several of the religious Christmas books we've read have been beautifully written but my kids weren't grasping the more poetic, and abstract text of some of these books.
5. Auntie Claus by Elise Primavera - Unfortunately we haven't read this one yet this year because I haven't found our copy. But the illustrations are just marvelous.
Do you have any others? I'm always looking for new ones.