Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Painting Technique - Monkey Cover #6


It's starting to look like something now. I finished up the last little bit of the underpainting yesterday and started laying the colors in. To add color I painted big flat areas using a hard 100% opacity brush. I did this on a separate photoshop layer set to multiply so the underpainting showed through. It's very similar to painting a glaze with oil paints. If I set the new color layer to "normal" instead of "multply" you can see the blocks of color. It looks like this...


Working on a separate layer makes it easier to erase and change colors as I go. When I was all done and happy with the colors, I merged everything into a single photoshop layer so it looks the the version at the top of the post. Now I'm ready to add details and highlights etc.