Ten Best Halloween Picture Books

I like creepy stuff. But as a mom of a kid who was traumatized by the Halloween section at Walmart when she was a toddler, I don't like things too creepy when it comes to kid's picture books. Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite, not too scary, books for All Hallow's Eve...


Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies
This isn't really a Halloween book but it's about bats so I think it's appropriate for the season and it's super, super cute. Brian's illustrations are just awesome (love the snack bar scene!) And if you find that you like this book there is a sequel, "Bats at the Library."


The Haunted Ghoul Bus by Lisa Trumbauer and Jannie Ho
A bus full of monsters and zombies could be stuff for the late, late show but Jannie Ho's quirky illustration makes it a fun ride on the "ghoul" bus.


The Spider and The Fly by Mary Howitt and Tony DiTerlizzi
This one isn't exactly a Halloween book but this film noir version of Spider and the Fly is perfect for reading on a dark October night.


Wattilda by Caralyn Buehner and Mark Buehner
I LOVE Mark Bruehner's illustrations and Wattilda is no exception. I still haven't found all the hidden pictures in this book.


Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley
Clever and bold illustrations help children send the monster away. A great choice for really young kids.


Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich
I laughed out loud the first time I read Adam Rex's verses. And his illustrations are just amazing! And if you like this one, check out the sequel, "Frankenstein Takes the Cake" This one would be best for grade school kids, the humor may be lost on the little ones.


The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone and Michael Smollin
I never considered this a Halloween book but I saw that Barnes and Noble had it on the Halloween table. And since it is one of my favorite picture books, I will include it in my list.


Sheep Trick or Treat by Nancy E. Shaw and Margot Apple
When my daughter was little, we read "the sheep" books over, and over, and over again. You parents know what I'm talking about. But unlike some of the books we read again and again, I still like them. Margot Apple's sweet illustrations are just perfect for this little rhyming book.


Georgie by Robert Bright
Sadly, old-fashioned books like Georgie, written in 1944, have gotten pushed aside for flashier more colorful books on the bookstore shelves. But Georgie, the timid little ghost, still has some life left in him. I sure you will be able to track down a copy at your local library. And if you child likes Georgie, there are a dozen more books in the series.


On a Dark, Dark Night by Jean M. Cochran and Jennifer Morris
Yes, yes, I know, I'm shameless! But I couldn't really make an honest list of my favorite Halloween books without including my own, now could I?

Comments

Popular Posts